Heller Brightly Theodolite
In 1870 Charles Heller and Charles Brightly formed a partnership in Pennsylvania. They made large and heavy duty instruments. This instrument has an 11 inch telescope and the bright lacquer finish is original. The box is extremely well made and has spring arrangements inside the box to provide some sort of shock absorbing qualities for the instrument when in transit. There are also hob nails on top of the box to provide protection for the top of the box.
This was a small company that produced less than 100 instruments a year in their early days. It was a traditional craft workshop and there were only a few employees at any one time, each could produce an entire instrument and each was paid reasonably well.
( Ref: Robert C Miller, "The Heller and Brightly Records" Rittenhouse 4
The serial number for this instrument (# 5250) shows that it was made about 1879.